Friday, October 2, 2015

Why Watching Good News is Better for Your Soul

Have you ever gone on a news fast?  Do you even know what that is?  A news fast means that you do not watch, listen to or read any news at all for a period of time.  I first heard about this in Tim Ferris' amazing book The 4-Hour Workweek (which was life-changing, by the way).  

In the book, Ferris challenges the reader to do a week long news fast.  I tried it and it was unbelievable how quickly it transformed my outlook.  Within days I had a much more positive outlook, was much less stressed and felt like life had slowed down to a more manageable pace.

I have since gone on many news fasts to rejuvinate myself ad I now realize that the news mostly bombards us with negative thoughts, ideas and images.  Without being aware of it, much of this seeps into our subconscious minds where it manifests back into our thoughts and lives as negativity, fear, anger and hatred.

Like any other decent human being, I abhor terrorism in all forms.  It is disgusting and I do what I can in my own way to make the world a better, happier and more loving place.  But, is it really to my benefit to constantly hear sensational rhetoric about terrorism?   

If I watch too much, I notice that I simply develop anger and fear.  Yet anger and fear will not help to rid the world of terrorism.  Love is how you fight hatred.  I know a lot of people don't understand this concept, but think about it like this:

How do you fight off darkness?  With light.

How do you fight off cold?  With heat.

It is the same idea.  Darkness cannot dispel darkness.  Cold cannot melt cold.

Above all it is essential to watch what we pay attention to in the mornings.  Our thoughts in the morning set the tone for the entire day.  This is the "waking up on the wrong side of the bed" phenomenon.  Start thinking negatively and your day will snowball negatively.  Fortunately, the same is true for positive thinking.

So how can we start our day off with loving, funny and inspirational good morning messages?  How about watching or reading about some good news?!  

A great place to do that is at the Huffington Post's Good News Section.  

No comments:

Post a Comment